Date: 06 December 2021
Location: SRI LANKA and MALDIVES, countrywide
Event: On December 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will implement a one-day COVID-19 testing requirement for travelers over age two coming to the United States. Regardless of vaccination status or nationality, any individual coming to the United States must show to the airline a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken the day before you board your flight to the United States. If you have questions on testing requirements associated with this policy, please speak directly with your airline or check CDC guidance.
If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
These requirements are for all air passengers two years of age or older boarding a flight from a foreign country to the United States.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for country-specific information related to COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions, including potential COVID vaccine or testing requirements for countries you are transiting through.
- Review the CDC’s travel health notice for Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- Review the State.Gov Travel Alert for Sri Lanka and Maldives.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 77-725-8500 Phone
+94 77-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For Sri Lanka:
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.