Date: may 15, 2020
Event: COVID-19 in Maldives. Updates are being sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. New information is listed in Recent Updates.
- Maldives has reported 982 confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of May 15, 2020.
- Maldives remains in a State of Public Health Emergency due to COVID. Malé is currently under curfew, due to newly confirmed cases of COVID-19.
- The embassy advises those who wish to return to the United States to do so at the earliest possible opportunity. American citizens who require assistance to leave Maldives are requested to fill out this information form to help the Embassy get in contact with you.
Note: Waiting and expecting to rely on an evacuation flight is not the best strategy. Evacuation flights are not free-of-charge. Frequently, evacuation flights cost more than commercial air travel.
The Maldives Ministry of Health has established a website, COVID-19 Local Updates, to track the status of the disease and provide updates. Families of individuals who are currently in quarantine and isolation facilities may contact the following hotlines to get updates on their status: +960-722–3541 and +960-729–0223. These hotlines are staffed from 9am to 11pm Maldives time and have English speakers.
If an American Citizen is diagnosed with COVID-19, he or she is likely to be placed in mandatory quarantine in a local government hospital. The Embassy is severely limited in its ability to visit individuals in Maldives.
On March 19, 2020, the Department of State issued a global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do Not Travel) advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
The U.S. Embassy in Colombo has suspended routine services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website https://lk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ for additional information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the U.S. Mission to Maldives Website, COVID Information Page
- U.S. Embassy – Colombo Sri Lanka
+94 11-249-8500 phone
+94 77-725-6307 phone (after hours emergencies)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Maldives Country Information