The United States established the American Center Malé in collaboration with the government of Maldives in 2004. The American Center provides employment and leadership skills for youth, promote English language learning, and fosters goodwill and mutual understanding.
Events and Programs
- Film screenings for children, youth, and adults
- Public lectures and panel discussion on thematic topics
The Center is housed in the 3rd Floor of National Bureau of Classification Building, Handhuvarudhey Hingun. AC materials are for reference and lending, and any member of the American Center can borrow the lending materials.
Resources offered in the American Center include a collection on U.S history, geography, government, popular culture and arts, fiction, and U.S. education.
Resources include printed books, periodicals, videos, and CDs. Facilities for using electronic materials are also available.
Products & Services
- Books and Multimedia Collections: Provide current and reliable information on various subjects including American studies, history, economics, management, business, politics, law and democracy, as well as English teaching and student advising.
- Periodicals and Newspapers: Current issues of approximately 30 popular American periodicals.
- U.S. Government Materials: Electronic journals, reports, and information on U.S. Government programs and grants, educational opportunities, and possibilities for financial support in the United States.
- CD-ROM Databases: Worldbook Encyclopedia, and almost 35 other databases on American history, laws, politics and government.
- Hi-Speed Internet Access: With guidance from professional reference staff for fast and efficient information retrieval.
- Cultural Programs: The Center hosts U.S. speaker programs, educational exchange programs, cultural events and exhibits to promote mutual understanding between Maldives and the United States.
American Center is open to the public from 9 am until 5 pm on all weekdays excluding local holidays.
American Center Malé
3rd Floor of National Bureau of Classification Building
Mobile: +960 7957331
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org