The American Center is a cultural center focusing on United States society, culture and values. The American Center Malé provides a collection of books and other resources highlighting key aspects of life in the U.S.
Set up as a partnership between U.S. Embassy Colombo and National Library of Maldives, the “Center” also functions as a potential meeting place for U.S. related activities in Malé.
- Digital Video Conferencing (DVC) with U.S. Experts
- Screening of films / documentaries
- Public lectures
The Center is housed in the 1st floor of the National Library, Malé. AC materials are for reference and lending, and any member of the National Library can borrow the lending materials.
Resources offered in the American Center include a collection on U.S history, geography, government, popular culture and arts, fiction plus U.S. education.
The resources include printed books, periodicals, as well as videos, CDs etc. The facilities for using electronic materials are also available. The users are allowed to take print outs and photocopies at a nominal rate.
Products & Services
- Books and Multimedia Collections: Provide current and reliable information on various subjects including American studies, history, economics, management, business, politics, law and democracy, as well as English teaching and student advising.
- Periodicals and Newspapers: Current issues of approximately 30 popular American periodicals.
- U.S. Government Materials: Electronic journals, reports, and information on U.S. Government programs and grants, educational opportunities, and possibilities for financial support in the United States.
- CD-ROM Databases: Worldbook Encyclopedia, and almost 35 other databases on American history, laws, politics and government.
- Hi-Speed Internet Access: With guidance from professional reference staff for fast and efficient information retrieval.
- Cultural Programs: The Center hosts U.S. speaker programs, educational exchange programs, cultural events and exhibits to promote mutual understanding between Maldives and the United States.
American Center is open to the public during National Library business hours.